Currently, 81.1% of women initiate breastfeeding in the hospital, but many don’t continue for as long or as exclusively as they’d hoped. Knowledgeable and competent lactation support – regardless of the credential the provider holds – is needed to increase rates of breastfeeding.
It is well known that having access to qualified lactation care – regardless of the credential the provider holds – increases breastfeeding rates. In fact, according to a recent article in the Journal of Human Lactation, breastfeeding support interventions using both IBCLCs and CLCs resulted in an increase in the number of women initiating breastfeeding, improved any breastfeeding rates, and improved exclusive breastfeeding rates.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the Joint Commission and the United States Breastfeeding Committee have all recognized CLCs and IBCLCs as professional breastfeeding supporters. Yet according to the CDCs 2016 Breastfeeding Report Card, there is a startlingly low 3.79 IBCLCs per 1,000 live births and 4.57 CLCs per 1,000 live births – a combined 8.36 lactation care providers per 1,000 live births in the U.S., which is not nearly enough.
To learn more about the importance of lactation support and ALPP’s efforts to preserve access and choice for mothers and babies, download our fact sheets.
The site is under maintenance. Please check back again later.
USE OF CONTENT
THE WEBSITE IS NOT A SOURCE OF DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENTS
ALPP assumes no responsibility for the practices or recommendations of any of its members or other practitioners, or for the policies and procedures of any practice setting. The Website and ALPP are not sources of diagnosis or treatment and any Website Content and User Content should not be regarded as such. The Website Content and User Content, including but not limited to the text, graphics, images, and information contained on the Website, is for informational purposes only.
- that any Personally Identifiable Information you provide to ALPP will be accurate, correct, and current;
- that ALPP may send you certain communications, such as service announcements, administrative messages, or newsletters, and that these communications are considered part of ALPP’s membership; and
You agree not to use any of the Website to:
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Website, usernames and passwords of users, or computer systems and networks connected to the Website;
- Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any User Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening to another person or entity, abusive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, tortuous, indecent, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, or otherwise objectionable;
- Harm legal minors;
- Impersonate another user, person, or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with another user, person, or entity;
- Collect and store personal data about other users, “cyber stalk” or harass another user or engage in conduct that negatively affects the on-line experience of another;
- Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any information or content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party;
- Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, or any other form of solicitation, except in the Careers section of the members’ only section of the Website.
- Upload, post, email or otherwise make available any information or content that does not comply with the Word Health Organization Guidelines.
- Upload or transmit any information that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or any other harmful or deleterious software programs;
- Reproduce, modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, trade, resell, or create derivative works based on the Website Content or User Content for any commercial purpose;
- Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law;
- Attempt to take any action that, in ALPP’s sole discretion, imposes or may impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load or burden on the Website or the infrastructure of the Website; or
- Interfere with the operation of the Website or other computers or internet or network connections.
You acknowledge and agree that ALPP may access, preserve, and disclose your account information and the User Content if required to do so by law or in a good faith belief that such access, preservation, or disclosure is reasonably necessary to
- comply with legal process;
- respond to claims that any User Content violates the rights of third parties;
- respond to your requests for customer service; or
- protect ALPP’s rights, property, or its employees personal safety, or the rights, property, or personal safety of the Website Users, or the public.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
ALPP FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ALPP AND ITS SUBSIDIARIES AND AFFILIATES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR: (A) ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU, HOWEVER CAUSED AND UNDER ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY. THIS LIMITATION SHALL INCLUDE, BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO, ANY LOSS OF PROFIT (WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY), ANY LOSS OF GOODWILL OR BUSINESS REPUTATION, ANY LOSS DUE TO BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, ANY LOSS OF DATA SUFFERED, COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS; (B) ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY YOU, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OR DAMAGE AS A RESULT OF: (1) ANY CHANGES THAT ALPP MAY MAKE TO THE WEBSITE, OR FOR ANY PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY CESSATION IN THE PROVISION OF THE WEBSITE (OR ANY FEATURES WITHIN THE WEBSITE); (2) THE DELETION OF, CORRUPTION OF, OR FAILURE TO STORE, ANY CONTENT OR OTHER DATA MAINTAINED OR TRANSMITTED BY OR THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE WEBSITE; (3) YOUR FAILURE TO PROVIDE ALPP WITH ACCURATE PERSONAL INFORMATION; (4) YOUR ABILITY TO ACCESS, OR THE AVAILABILITY OF, EXTERNAL WEBSITES OR RESOURCES (WITH HYPERLINKS ON THE ALPP WEBSITE), OR YOUR RELIANCE ON THE COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY, OR EXISTENCE OF ANY CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIALS ON, OR AVAILABLE FROM, SUCH WEBSITES, CONTENT, OR RESOURCES.
THE LIMITATIONS ON ALPP’S LIABILITY TO YOU IN THIS SECTION SHALL APPLY WHETHER OR NOT ALPP HAS BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH LOSSES ARISING.
ALPP respects the intellectual property rights of others and ALPP asks its users to do the same. If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any of the Website Content, the User Content, or other content or material on any of the Website infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by providing ALPP’s Copyright Agent with the following information in writing as outlined in 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3):
- A physical or electronic signature of the owner of the right that is allegedly infringed or a person authorized to act on their behalf;
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a single notification, a representative list of the copyrighted works;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material on the Website;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the owner or agent, such as an address, telephone number, and email address;
- A statement that the owner or agent has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are the owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
ALPP’s designated Copyright Agent for receiving notifications of claimed infringement is:
159 Long Pond Drive
Harwich, MA 02645
In accordance with the DMCA and other applicable law, ALPP has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances and, at ALPP’s sole discretion, members who are deemed to be repeat infringers. ALPP may also, at ALPP’s sole discretion, limit access to the Website and/or terminate the memberships of any users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement.
The Website may include hyperlinks to other websites, content, or resources. ALPP has no control over any websites or resources that are provided by companies or persons other than ALPP. You acknowledge and agree that ALPP is not responsible for the availability of any such external sites or resources, and does not endorse any advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such websites or resources.
No Third Party Beneficiaries; No Relationship
Governing Law and Dispute Resolution
Collection of Your Personal Information
ALPP’s website may collect, retain and/or use personally identifiable information that can be used to reveal your identity (“Personally Identifiable Information”, “PII”), such as your e-mail address, name, home or work address, city, state, zip code, apartment or suite number, telephone number, fax number, ALPP Member identification number, username, password, or any other identifying information you provide.
There is also information about your computer hardware and software that is automatically collected by ALPP. This information can include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring Web site addresses. This information is used by ALPP for the operation of the Website, to maintain the quality of the Website, and to provide general statistics regarding use of ALPP’s Website.
Use of Your Personal Information
ALPP collects and uses your Personally Identifiable Information to operate the Website and create an on-line community where users and individuals with ALPP certifications (“Members”) can interact and obtain and exchange information concerning ALPP, breastfeeding, lactation, and other relevant issues. On occasion, ALPP may also use your Personally Identifiable Information to inform you of social, legal and political issues that concern ALPP, ALPP certifications, breastfeeding, lactation or other relevant concerns.
ALPP does not sell, rent or lease your PII to third-parties. From time to time, however, ALPP may contact you on behalf of external business partners about a particular offering or event that may be of interest to you. In those cases, your unique personally identifiable information (e-mail, name, address, telephone number, etc.) is not transferred to the third party. Additionally, ALPP may share data with trusted partners to help us maintain the Website, perform statistical analysis, send you email or postal mail, provide customer support, or other similar activities. All such third parties are prohibited from using your PII except to provide these services to ALPP and they are required to maintain the confidentiality of your information.
ALPP keeps track of the pages our users visit within the ALPP Website in order to determine what ALPP services are the most popular. This data is used to deliver customized content and advertising within ALPP to users whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area.
Members-Only Section and Member Profile
Members are permitted to register and log into the Members-Only section of the Website in order to communicate with other Members, obtain and share relevant information, participate in member forums, and learn about local and national events involving Members. As part of the Members-Only section, Members can create an online Member profile (“Profile”) that contains Personally Identifiable Information regarding your name, address, email address, phone number, pictures, certifications, preferences, and other PII. Unless the Member gives opt-in consent, ALPP will not disclose the information in the Profile or other PII to other Members or the public.
ALPP’s Website makes discussion groups available to Members. Please remember that any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information and Members should exercise caution when deciding to disclose personal information. ALPP cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted in the Members-Only forums.
Access and Change to your Personal Information
If you are a Member, you can review and edit the Personally Identifiable Information provided by you to ALPP in the Members-Only section. To do so, log in and click on “My Profile”. Some of your PII in ALPP’s possession may not be accessible or changeable within the Members-Only section. In such cases or if you are not a Member, you may be able to access and/or change your PII possessed by contacting ALPP by phone at (508) 833-1500. We will use commercially reasonable steps to verify your identity before providing and/or correcting the requested PII.
You can opt-out of cookies by adjusting your browser settings. However, if you opt-out of cookies, portions of the Website may not function normally or you may be prevented from utilizing certain aspects of the Website.
Security of your Personal Information
We have in place appropriate physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security and correctly use the information we collect online.
Do Not Track
Our Website does not react to Do Not Track options you set in your browser.
The ALPP Website is not intended for nor does it knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.
You acknowledge that any communications or transmissions to or from this Website or any related site may not be completely private even if such efforts are made to secure its privacy as communications and transmissions can be intercepted.
Third-Party Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
Third-Party Links and Other Sites
Opt-Out and Unsubscribe Procedures
If, at any time, you prefer not to receive:
- educational messages from ALPP concerning breastfeeding, lactation or other information that may be of interest to ALPP members and/or users of this site; or
- marketing communications from ALPP regarding services or events involving third-party business partners;
then you can opt-out of receiving these communications by sending us an email or postal mail as follows:
|Send Postal mail to:||
The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice
In your letter or email, make sure to give us your:
- Full Name
- Mailing Address (including City, State and Zip Code)
- ALPP Membership Number
- Indication that you do not wish to receive educational messages from ALPP or marketing communications regarding services or events involving third-party business partners.
If it is an email communication, simply follow the unsubscribe options at the bottom of each email. If you experience difficulty with the unsubscribe process, feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you will be unable to opt-out or unsubscribe from firstname.lastname@example.org. ALPP uses this e-mail account for the sole purpose of contacting you with important administrative or advocacy information that affects your ALPP membership or certification, including but not limited to information concerning the administration of your account, renewal of your ALPP membership, or potential legislative action that affects lactation care providers.